Dr Terry Whitebeach writes poetry and prose for adults and children. Her young adult novels and poetry have won a number of awards and have been read aloud on radio, in schools, and at festivals and other venues in Australia and the USA.
I studied literature and philosophy at UTAS, English and Creative Writing at Edith Cowan University and history (biography) at Charles Darwin University, and have worked as a teacher, researcher, mentor and community writing facilitator as well as performing my work and collaborating with visual artists in projects for exhibition ad performance. My children were aghast at my career choices. They went into science and the trades.
Prizes, Grants & Awards
- 2019: The True Love Story of David Collins and Terra Nullius (Novel) shortlisted for 2019 Harper Collins Banjo Prize
- 2019: Exchange writer in residence to Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- 2017: Tas. Commended for a Human Rights Award:
an individual who has taken action to ensure the promotion, protection and fulfilment of human rights…. For her own writing, and for her teaching, facilitation and collaborative work with other writers, which ensure diverse voices are more widely represented, head and understood, to encourage non-discriminatory attitudes and practice in the community.
- 2016: Erica Bell mentorship with Robyn Friend, for developing the novel The True Love Story of David Collins and Terra Nullius.
- 2014: May Gibbs Children’s Literature Trust residency in Adelaide Aug/Sept.
- 2003: NT Anthology Living Room: FAW National Community Writing Award.
- 2003: Bantam a Notable Book in CBCA Awards.
- 2000: Mentorship, with Alanna Valentine, at Varuna Writers Centre, to develop a Radio play ‘Antarctic Journey’.
- 2000: NT Red Earth Poetry prize.
- 2000: Mentorship (ASA/NT Writers Centre) with Jenny Pausacker to develop YA novel Bantam.
- 1995/1996: ANARE artists’ fellowship in Antarctica (to research and write radio drama, ‘Antarctic Journey’).
- 1995: Australia Council Literature Board Writer’s Fellowship.
- 1994: Australia Council CCDU Community Writer’s Fellowship.
- 1994: Anne Elder Prize for first poetry collection Bird Dream.
- 1994: Poetry Collection Bird Dream shortlisted for WA Premier’s Award
Also, between 2000 and 2019, Terry has received :
- Writing grants from Arts Tasmania, Tas Regional Arts, AIATSIS, Copyright Agency Limited and the Australia Council for the Arts; and
- Fellowships at Varuna, The Writers’ House, Katoomba.