Co-written with fabulous fellow-Tasmanian children’s author, Julie Hunt, Tyenna is Terry’s latest book, released in March 2022 and published by Allen and Unwin. It’s an engaging and suspenseful novel which will suit readers aged between about 11 and 14.
They huddle low, nostrils burning from the smoke. A wave of despair flows over Tye. Nothing will survive this firestorm. The bush and everything she loves will be lost.
It’s the summer holidays, and Tye is staying at her grandparents’ lodge at Chancy’s Point in Tasmania’s beautiful Central Highlands. But her plans for fun with best friend Lily and working on her pencil pine conservation project are thwarted as fire threatens the community and the bush she loves – and when Tye discovers Bailey, a runaway boy hiding out, she is torn between secretly helping him and her loyalty to her grandparents.
As the fire comes closer and evacuation warnings abound, Tye is caught up in the battle of her life. Will she and Bailey survive? What will happen to her beloved pencil pines and the wildlife at risk? Can she and her close-knit community make a difference in a world threatened by climate change?
Tyenna is available from most real-world and virtual booksellers including Terry’s favorite, The Hobart Bookshop.
Please join us for the virtual launch of Tyenna, available on YouTube (below), kindly hosted by The Hobart Bookshop.
- 0:00 Welcome by Bronwyn Chalke, of The Hobart Bookshop.
- 1:00 Introduction by Daniela Brozek, of Bright South.
- 1:15 A few words from Billie, a young reader.
- 2:26 Daniela resumes (images from 9:29)
- 12:40 Terry Whitebeach reads from Tyenna.
- 17:50 Julie Hunt speaks about her research and pencil pines.
- 21:59 Julie reads from Tyenna.
- 23:47 Julie offers thanks to helpers.
- 25:01 Terry offers her thanks.
- 27:24 Daniela begins closing words.
- 27:40 Billie’s recommendation of Tyenna.
- 28:00 Daniela concludes (closes at 29:30).